This is a version of chicken masala for which I haven't used any readymade chicken/meat masala, garam masala etc. The coriander powder and the whole spices gives a special touch to this recipe.
Chicken - 1 kg, cut into pieces
Onion - 3 to 4 finely sliced
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - a 2 inch piece broken to pieces
Cloves - 4
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1.5 tsp or more
Coriander powder - 2 to 3 tbsp as you like
Tomato - 2, chopped
Curry leaves - a sprig
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
1. Heat about 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and saute the onions. The taste of this curry depends on how well the onions are sauted. The onions should turn dark brown, but not burnt. Let it cool. Grind to a smooth paste without adding water. Keep it aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add fennel, cloves and cinnamon. Saute for a minute.
3. Add the ground onion paste and ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes.
4. Add turmeric, chilly and coriander powder and saute for a minute.
5. Add tomatoes and saute well till oil starts appearing.
6. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover and cook for about 5 mins.
7. Add 2 to 3 cups of water, curry leaves and salt and cover and cook till chicken is done.
8. You may add pepper powder at the last stage and mix well.
Garnish with coriander leaves
This masala is much tastier after a few hours when the gravy thickens. Best served with roti, naan, paratha and rice.