June 14, 2011

Pavakka (Bitter Gourd) thoran

പാവയ്ക്കാ തോരന്‍ 


I just can't believe that I am posting a bitter gourd recipe here. This vegetable always stood first, when I think of food stuff that I hate. My mother likes it and from my childhood days she used to convince me to have it. But I never had more than a small piece. It was after marriage that I came to know that my husband likes it very much. Amma was happy that atleast someone would eat this if she cooks. Nowadays, I too cook it, but just for him..

For my non-keralite friends: Thoran is a dry dish made of vegetables or spinach which is served usually with rice. Shredded coconut is a key ingredient of any thoran.

Ingredients:

Bitter Gourd/Karela/Pavakka - 2
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Onion - 1 small, chopped fine
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Chilly powder - 1 tsp (You may use green chillies as a substitute)
Curry leaves - a few
Shredded coconut - 1 to 2 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1 to 2tsp (it helps to balance the bitterness to some extent)
Salt
Oil

Preparation:

1. Cut the bitter gourd and discard the seeds. Chop into small pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard and cumin seeds.
3. Add onions, bitter gourd and salt and fry well for a few minutes.
4. Add turmeric and chilly powder,curry leaves and mix well. Cover and cook till bitter gourd is done. You may sprinkle a little water.
5. Add coconut and lemon juice and mix well. Fry on high heat for a minute or two.

Serve hot with rice

Linking this to Life is Green Event 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...