Amma's special prawn pickle that spices up any meal.
Small prawns (Cleaned, peeled and de-veined) - 250 gms
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Oil - 1/4 cup
Ginger finely chopped - 1 tbsp
Garlic finely chopped - 1 tbsp
Green chillies - 3, finely chopped
Curry leaves - a sprig
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Vinegar - 3 tbsp + more if required
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
1. Wash the prawns well and drain the water completely. Marinate the prawns along with turmeric powder and salt for atleast half an hour. Choose the smallest prawns available. The weight given above is after cleaning and peeling.
2. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the prawns till they are golden and crisp. Drain and keep aside in a glass bowl.
3. In the same oil, add ginger, garlic, green chillies and fry till brown. Add curry leaves and fry it too. Turn off the stove and add chilly powders. Take care not to burn it. Transfer the contents immediately to the bowl of fried prawns.
4. Warm the vinegar and add it along with enough salt to the bowl and mix well.
5. Splutter mustard seeds in a tsp of oil and pour it to the bowl.
6. Dry roast fenugreek seeds and powder it. Add the powder to the bowl and combine well. Keep the pickle in the bowl for a day. If it gets very thick, boil about 1/4cup of water and combine with the pickle. The prawns absorb the liquid and pickle gets thicker.
7. Store in airtight glass jars after the pickle cools downs completely.
Use after 3-4 days...I dont have the patience to wait, so I dig in as soon as it is ready.
Kerala Kitchen - March 2011 hosted by Prathibha, an event series started by Ria and Rose
Hot and Spicy treats hosted by Amy