Chicken Jalfrezi is Britain's favourite Indian curry now. Recently it replaced the Chicken Tikka Masala which was the most popular Indian curry says Times of India. I had this dish a couple of times after coming to UK, and this is our favourite now. The Indian restaurants here serve mildly spicy curries and so we always order it to be extra spicy. Extra spicy as per their standards is the normal spice level that we use at home.
Coming to the recipe, I spotted it at 1 MB from Meena's Kitchen. The picture of her dish looked so attractive and delicious and I decided to try it. This is a very yummy dish with a different flavour and a lovely light brown colour. But in this photo, it looks very yellow as my kitchen lights are yellowish. I made it for dinner and missed the opportunity to take the picture in day light.
1. Boneless chicken breast - 2, cut to bite sized pieces
Yoghurt/Curd - 3 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
2. For cooking the chicken
Oil - 2 tbsp
Green chillies - 2, chopped fine
Garlic - 4 large cloves
Tomatoes - 2, chopped
Chilly powder - 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder - 1.5 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 to 1 tsp
Salt to taste
3. For second saute
Oil - 1 tbsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
Green Bell Pepper - 1, diced
Garam masala - 1/2 to 1 tsp
1. Combine all ingredients in item 1 and marinate for 10 mins.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add green chillies followed by garlic and saute well. Add tomatoes and saute well till mushy.
3. Add chilly, coriander and pepper powders and salt and combine well.
4. Add the marinated chicken and cover and cook till chicken is done. As this is a dry side dish, no need to add water.
5. In another pan heat oil and add jeera. Add onions and saute till they are golden brown. Add the diced bell peppers and saute for a minute. Add garam masala and mix well. Add the contents of this pan to the cooked chicken and combine well. Chicken Jalfrezi is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves(optional).
Serve with roti, paratha, naan or fried rice.
Linking this to Iftar Nights