Snake gourd/Padavalanga/Padwal - 1 medium
Chana dal - 1/4 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Shallots/Sambar onion - 4 or 5, peeled and sliced thin
Green chillies - 2, slit
Curry leaves - a small sprig
Salt to taste
Grated coconut - 3 to 4 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 1 or 2 cloves
Green chillies - 1
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
1. Pressure cook the chana dal with just enough water to cook for 1 or 2 whistles. The dal should be 3/4th cooked.
2. Rub the peel off the snakegourd, and chop it into cubes.
3. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions, green chillies ad curry leaves and saute till onions start turning brown.
4. Add the cooked dal and the snake gourd and combine well. Add enough salt and cover and cook for few minutes till gourd is cooked.
5. Grind the coconut and other ingredients coarsely without adding water. Add this to the cooked dal and gourd and mix well. Stir fry for a minute.
Serve with rice or roti.
Kerala Kitchen - May 2012 hosted by Jehanne of The Cooking Doctor. Check the Kerala Kitchen page here
ABC Series: GOURDS hosted in my blog