July 8, 2011

Neer Dosa


Neer Dosa is a delicacy of Dakshina Kannada region of Karnataka. Neeru means Water in Kannada and I am told that it is known as Neer Dosa as the batter is of a watery consistency. Neer Dosa differs from Regular Dosa, as it doesn't include Urad daal and there is no need to ferment the batter after grinding. This dosa is very thin and yummy and you need lots of them to fill your tummy.  I never made neer dosa when I was in Bangalore as it was available in our office cafeteria and most of the restaurants. After coming to UK, there was no other way than to cook it on my own.

Ingredients:

Raw Rice - 2 cups (I didn't have it so I used Idly Rice)
Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
Salt
Water
Oil - to grease the pan

Preparation:

1. Soak the raw rice in water for a minimum of 4 hours. If you are planning to have it for breakfast, soak overnight and grind in the morning. The batter can be used soon after grinding as fermentation is not required.
2. Grind it along with shredded coconut to get a smooth batter.
3. Add salt and more water to make it to a watery consistency. It should be much thinner than the regular dosa batter.
4. Heat a dosa tava and grease with oil. If you are using a non stick tava, you dont need oil at all. Pour a ladle of batter and swirl the tava immediately so that the batter forms a uniform thin layer on the tava. When the dosa is cooked, use a spatula to fold it. Transfer to a plate.

Refer this video...

Neer dosa can be served with chutney. Non-vegetarians have a lot of choice as neer dosa goes very well with fish and non-veg curries. Here is one combo you can  try: Fish in Roasted Coconut Gravy

Sending this to Show me your Dosa hosted by Divya


Also goes to Dosa recipes hosted by Sameena

3 comments:

  1. i tried this neer dosa...thanx dear for sharing ...really my family enjoyed this dosa..i tried 3 times...this became my kid's fav dosa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try neeru dosa and my kannadiga friend from school used to bring it for lunch with some sort of a tomato chutney. I loved it so much but never got around asking her how its done...Shall try this out soon.

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can u suggest a good recipe for chutney for neer dosa ?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...