Some of my friends have been asking for an easy Rava Idli recipe and here it is...This morning I was so lazy to prepare breakfast, and this came to my rescue. There is no need to plan ahead, soak, grind or ferment unlike the regular idli. Within 30 minutes, yummy rava idli is ready...My little girl who doesnt eat rava upma, will happily have this one. Adding carrots and beans makes it colourful and healthier too. Rava idli can be had for breakfast, with evening tea( if you are really hungry) or for dinner...
Rava/Semolina - 1 cup
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
Finely chopped Ginger - 1/2 tsp
Thick Curd/yoghurt - 2 cups
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp (makes idli very fluffy and soft)
Carrot - 1 or 2, grated (optional, but it makes the idli healthier and gives a light orange shade to it)
Coriander leaves - a few, chopped
Yields around 10-12 idlis.
1. Heat a little oil in a pan and add jeera followed by Chana dal and ginger and saute. You may also add chopped cashew nuts if you like. Add Rava and roast till golden. Turn off the stove and let it cool.
2. Add grated carrot, coriander leaves,salt and curd. Add baking soda and mix well and keep aside for 10 mins. You may add finely chopped beans also to this.
3. The idli mix thickens after 10 mins. Add a little more curd or water. The mix should be thicker than regular idli batter.
4. Grease idli moulds with a little oil. Scoop the idli mix into the moulds and steam for 10-15 mins till idlis are cooked.
5. Let it cool for sometime and remove from moulds.
Serve with Onion chutney, Tomato chutney or any other chutney of your choice. Sometimes I just eat it as it is and it tastes good too..