February 28, 2012

Homemade Naan - made on a tawa



Homemade naans were on my 'to-do' list for a long time now. I had bookmarked this recipe from Manjula's Kitchen and it was hiding somewhere in the long list. One day while we were planning what to make for dinner, my mother asked if I  have made naans at home before.  Thats when I remembered this easy recipe .The naans were so soft, much better than the ones served in most restaurants. In the original recipe, the naan is cooked in an oven, even I wanted to try it the same way. While the oven was pre-heating, I just tried making one naan on a tawa. I made 2 of them in the oven and rest on the tawa. I must say that we found the tawa ones were much easier, softer and tastier.

So here comes the recipe, enjoy naans at home now !

Ingredients:

All purpose flour / Maida - 2 cups + extra for rolling the dough
Active dry yeast - 1 tsp + 3/4 cup of luke warm water
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Baking soda - a pinch
Oil - 2 tbsp
Yoghurt/Curd - 3 tbsp
Butter - to brush on naan

Note: I made butter naans and coriander jeera naans. To make coriander jeera naans, after rolling out the naan, top it with finely chopped coriander leaves and jeera and then cook.

Preparation:

1. Mix the yeast in luke warm water and keep aside for 10mins till it becomes frothy.
2. Add maida, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl and combine well.
3. Add oil and yoghurt to this mix and combine well to form a crumbly mix.
4. Add the yeast water and knead to form a very soft dough. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it for 2-3 hours till the dough almost doubles.
5. Knead the dough a little more and make 6 equal portions. Roll out each portion to thin oval shape. I rolled them on a plastic sheet to make it easier.
6. Heat a non stick pan / tawa and when it is really hot, transfer the naan. When it starts puffing up, flip over. Cook on both sides till brown.Brush a little butter on top.

Serve hot.

Curries for naan
Palak Paneer
Paneer Butter masala
Matar Paneer
Egg curry
Butter chicken
Pepper chicken
Chicken sukka
Chettinad chicken
Spicy chicken masala

This post is dedicated to my mom.. When she comes to stay with me, she takes over the kitchen and I get some rest. So, this time I wanted to make something special for her. This post goes to Nupur's lovely event 'For U, Mum'


Spotlight: Colourful Holi hosted by Chandrani



Also sending this to Celebration of Indian Food by Lisa



32 comments:

  1. wow....perfect naan.....thnx 4 sharing dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds more simpler n tempting platter!!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Naan had come out really perfect Ramya, well done :) Nice click as well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I love naans but never try making them before. I might try your recipe.These homemade naans sound good & look yummy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. naan looks wonderful deliciously done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naan looks s o perfect... Would love it with some PB masala right now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks fantastic,just like the one from tandoori,yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to try this..looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naan looks delicious and yummy dear..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic...looks as if just jumped out of the tandoor!
    Bookmarked. :)

    Event : Cakes, Cookies and Desserts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for submitting your recipe to my event. I have always wanted to make naans at home and hope to find the time soon to try. These look perfect and delicious indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks very yummy n delicious..loved it

    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfectly made !! looks wonderful !!

    Ongoing event CC-Dish For Loved Ones

    ReplyDelete
  14. new here ..nice to folow u...naaan looks perfect and delicious..do drop my space sometime

    ReplyDelete
  15. Has turned out very nice, nice recipe! Tempting me to make...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfectly made naans...Love them but never tried making them at home

    ReplyDelete
  17. perfect naans!love the recipe......really tempting pic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. dear...these naans look just fabulous....u hav made it so perfect...n thnx for sharing the recipe...bookmarking it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow... thatz really easy nan..
    just vist my blog an award is waiting u there http://threadwithme.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love naans but never try making them in home. Perfectly done. Thanks for linking my event.

    Cuisine Delights
    My First Event-SPOTLIGHT:"COLOURFUL HOLI" .

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried this yesterday and it came out even better than the restaurant ones.. Thanks a lot for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried this yesterday and it came out better than the restaurant ones.. Thanks a lot for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tried this yesterday and it came out even better than the restaurant ones.. Thanks a lot for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tried this yesterday and it came out even better than the restaurant ones.. Thanks a lot for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying. And im glad you liked it

      Delete
  25. Wow Ramya the naans were so fluffy n soft. Thanks for this easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Ramya the naans were so fluffy n soft. Thanks for this easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks delicius and so soft. I like very much the step by step presentation.I love these a lot! chowringhee restaurent in satyaniketan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...