Palak Paneer is a creamy and delicious north indian dish with a lovely green colour. Paneer(cottage cheese) is cooked in a spinach based gravy and is mildly spiced. Taste great with roti, naan and paratha.
1. Paneer - 200 gms
2. Palak/Spinach - 3 big bunches
Oil - 2 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Green chillies - 2 or 3
3. Tomato - 2 big
Water to blanch the tomatoes
4. Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 to 1 tsp
Kasoori methi - 1/4 tsp (crush it with your palms)
Fresh cream - 3 tbsp
1. Cut the paneer to small cubes. If you are using store bought paneer, place the cubes in hot water for 5-10 mins and then drain. This helps to make the paneer soft. It is optional to fry the paneer in a little ghee for a few minutes.
2. Discard the stems of the palak and wash the leaves well. Roughly chop them. Heat about 2 tsp of oil in a pan. Add chopped spinach and sugar. Adding sugar helps to get a lovely dark green colour. Saute till spinach wilts and becomes dark green in colour. Let the spinach cool a little and grind it along with green chillies to a smooth puree.
3. Boil water in a pan and add the tomatoes and boil till the skin loosens. Place the tomatoes in cold water and remove the skin. Grind the tomatoes to a smooth pulp.
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Fry the onions till light brown and then add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute. Add coriander powder and combine well.
2. Add the tomato pulp, mix well and let it boil. Add the spinach puree and paneer cubes and combine well and bring to boil. Add garam masala and kasoori methi and cook for few more minutes. The gravy becomes thick. Add fresh cream and serve.
Sending this to Show me your HITS