|വറുത്തരച്ച മീന് കറി|
I made this fish curry for the first time and it came out much tastier than I expected. The fish is cooked in a gravy of ground roasted coconut which gives a different flavour to this curry. This is commonly known as Varutharacha Meen Curry in malayalam.
Fish - 1/2 kg
Onion - 1 small sized, finely chopped
Crushed or chopped ginger - 1 tsp
Crushed or chopped garlic - 1 tsp
Green chillies - 3 or 4, slit
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Kodampuli/Fish tamarind - 2-3
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
For roasted coconut paste
Shallots - 3-4, sliced
Crushed pepper corns - 1 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Shredded coconut - 1 cup
Coriander powder - 1 to 1.5 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 to 1 tsp
1. Clean and cut the fish into medium size pieces.Keep aside.
2. Soak Kudampuli in warm water and keep aside.
3. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add shallots ,pepper corns and fennel seeds. Roast them for a minute and then add shredded coconut.
4. When the coconut starts turning brown add red chilly powder and coriander powder and saute for a minute and turn off the stove. Add the chilly and coriander powder only in the end , otherwise it will get burnt. Let it cool and grind to a paste by adding a little water.
5. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
6. Add curry leaves, green chillies, crushed ginger and garlic and saute for a minute. Add chopped onion and saute till onion becomes soft .
7. Add the ground masala, salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Add the soaked kudampuli along with water and bring to boil.
8. Add fish pieces and cover and cook till fish is done.
Serve with rice..Tastes much better after a few hours. We served it with Neer Dosa, a mangalore delicacy. This combo was finger licking good....
Recipe Source: Vazhayila