July 19, 2011
One of the things I miss most is the Kerala style Puffs. The flaky puffs with a spicy filling makes it a very tasty snack. The filling can be mixed veggies, egg or meat. I had some leftover Kheema and was searching for a recipe to use it. I came across the recipe for Chicken Puffs at Shab's Cuisine and as I had frozen puff pastry sheet in the fridge, decided to try it out. It turned out to be very yummy and easy too...
1. Minced chicken/Kheema - 1 cup (You may use cooked and shredded chicken instead)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
2. Onion - 1, chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Meat masala / Garam masala - 3/4 tsp or more (adjust to suit your taste)
Tomato - 1 small, chopped
3. Puff pastry sheet - 1 pack. I used Jus-rol
Egg - white of 1 egg lightly beaten with a little water(egg wash)
1. Cook the ingredients listed as item 1 till the kheema is cooked well.
2. Heat a little oil in a pan and saute onions till soft. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Add chilly powder and meat masala and saute for few seconds.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook till soft. Now add cooked kheema and chopped coriander leaves and combine well.The filling is now ready.
4. Thaw the frozen puff pastry sheet as per instructions on the pack. Cut them into squares and place the filling on one half of each square. Fold it with the other half. Brush the top of the puffs with egg wash.
5. Preheat the oven to 220 C and bake for 15-20 mins or till the top of the puffs is browned well.
For detailed and step by step instructions please visit Shab's Cuisine. The filling I made is slightly different from her version.