|മത്തങ്ങാ വന്പയര് എരിശ്ശേരി|
This is a traditional Kerala recipe made with Pumpkin and Red Lobhia/Cowpea and is a part of Kerala Sadya ( a traditional vegetarian feast)
1. Red lobhia /vanpayar – 1/2 cup
2. Pumpkin/Mathanga– 250 gm, diced
Green chillies – 3 to 4
Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
3. For grinding
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Garlic – 2 small cloves
Black pepper corns – 6 to 8
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Water for grinding
4. For seasoning
Grated coconut – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Dry red chillies – 4-5
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Oil – 2 tsp (preferrably coconut oil)
1. Soak the lobhia overnight and cook in pressure cooker with water and salt.
2. Grind the ingredients listed in item 3 to a smooth paste. Keep aside
3. In a pan, cook the ingredients listed as item 2 till pumpkin is cooked. Add the cooked lobhia and coconut paste to the pumpkin and combine well and cook for few minutes.
4. Meanwhile heat oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add red chillies, curry leaves and coconut and roast till coconut becomes brown. Add this mix to the other pan where the pumpkin and lobhia are getting cooked. Combine well, do a salt check and adjust the consistency of the dish.
Serve with rice.
Recipe Source: Yummy O Yummy
Linking this with Bookmarked Recipes - Every Tuesday Vol.52 hosted at Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes
Kerala Kitchen - August 2011 hosted by Vidhya of Sugar N Spice. Visit The Kerala Kitchen page here.
Also goes to Flavours of South India
Please do visit and send your entries for my Ongoing event - Fusion Food:Pasta