Cherupayar thoran is a dry dish made with green moong which is very rich in proteins. You may try this recipe with sprouted moong which is more nutritious...
Before we go to the recipe, I found something interesting in Wikipedia. Check this link. This has helped me quite a lot of times when I find the regional names of certain pulses/vegetables in a food blog, and have no clue what it is.
Green moong/cherupayar - 1 cup
Green chilly - 2 or 3, slit
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Shallots - 4 or 5, sliced thin
Dry red chilly - 1 or 2
Curry leaves - a sprig
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Shredded Coconut - 3 tbsp
1. Cook the green moong with green chilly and water till done. It should not get mashed.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds.
3. Add shallots, dry chillies, curry leaves and saute for a minute.
4. Add turmeric powder, coconut and salt and mix well.
5. Finally add the cooked moong and combine well.
Serve with rice. Best combined with Kachiya moru
Sending this recipe to an event hosted by Sobha of Good Food - "Proteinicious"
Linking this to Life is Green Event