This one is an Andhra style version of Dal Palak. The recipe was given by a friend of mine who is a native of Hyderabad. I love Andhra food for its spices. My spice tolerance is much better than an average person. I remember when I had hyderabad biriyani once, it was so spicy that my eyes started watering. But it was so yummy that I couldn't leave it, so I managed with the help of some raitha...
Back to our recipe...
1. Toor dal or Moong dal - 3/4 cup
Chopped Palak/Spinach - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Garlic cloves - 3
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1 tsp
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Green chilly - 2
Curry leaves - a sprig
Ghee -1 tsp or more (optional)
1. Put all the ingredients listed under item 1 in a pressure cooker. Add a cup of water and cook for 2-3 whistles.
2. In a pan, add 1-2 tbsp of oil and splutter mustard and cumin seeds.
3. Add onions,green chillies and curry leaves and saute till onions are light brown. You may also add chopped tomatoes if you like.
4. Add the cooked dal palak from the cooker and mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add a tsp of ghee to make it more delicious.
Linking this to Life is Green Event