The only advantage of having a fussy eating toddler is that I keep experimenting with food.. The first mouthful and the visual appearance is very important for her as that's when she decides whether to continue eating. She also likes colourful food stuff like this one. This thoran combines the goodness of cauliflower and carrot and I'm sure many kids like her would find it interesting.
Cauliflower - 1/2 of a medium size one
Carrot - 2 or 3, grated
Onion - 1 small, chopped finely
Green chilly - 3 or 4, slit lengthwise
Curry leaves - a few
Shredded Coconut - 2 or 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
1. Dip the cauliflower florets in salted hot water for 10 mins. Drain, wash and cut the florets into small pieces. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds.
3. Add onion, green chillies, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt and saute for a minute.
4. Add the cauliflower and grated carrots and combine well. Heap it at the center of the pan and cover and cook till the veggies are almost done. You may sprinkle a little water if it looks dry.
5. Add coconut and mix well. Stir fry for a few more minutes on high flame.
Serve as a side dish with rice or roti.