Born and brought up in a coastal area (Calicut), fish was an inseparable part of our lives. This curry was a regular item on our dining table, that I used to find it very boring. It was when I moved out to Coimbatore for my studies, that I started missing all the fish delicacies back home...
This is my amma's recipe and this post is dedicated to her :-)
1. Fish - 500 gms
2. For the gravy
Shredded coconut - 1 cup
Red chilly powder - 1.5 tsp or more
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
3. Kudampuli(Gambooge) - 2 pieces (I didn't have it, so I used tamarind pulp)
4. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
Shallots - 5, sliced
Garlic - 5-6 cloves, sliced
Ginger- a small piece, sliced
Green chilly - 3, slit lengthwise
Curry leaves - a sprig
Oil - 2 tbsp (I use coconut oil for this dish)
1. Clean and cut fish into pieces and keep aside.
2. Soak kodampuli in warm water for 10 mins. If using tamarind, soak in warm water and make a pulp.Keep aside
3. Grind the ingredients given as item 2, into a smooth paste.Keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan (clay pot is the best) and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds.
5. Add shallots,garlic,ginger,green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
6. Add the coconut paste and saute for a minute.
7. Add the tamarind pulp/soaked kodampuli with water. Add more water to adjust the gravy consistency.
8. Bring to boil. Add fish pieces and cover and cook till fish is done.
You may drizzle some more coconut oil, if you like.