A traditional kerala dish made in most of the households when raw mangoes are in season.You can use the same recipe for prawns or fish curry. The sourness of the mango adds a distinct flavour to this curry. Try it out before the end of this mango season...
1. Small prawns- 300 gms
2. For the gravy
Shredded coconut - 1 cup
Shallot -1 or 2
Red chilly powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
3. Raw mango - 1 small. If it is very sour, just add half.
4. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
Shallots - 5, sliced
Garlic - 5-6 cloves, sliced
Ginger- a small piece, sliced
Green chilly - 3, slit lengthwise
Curry leaves - a sprig
Oil - 2 tbsp (I use coconut oil for this dish)
1. Clean and and peel the prawns and keep aside.
2. Peel the mango and cut into pieces and keep aside.
3. Grind the ingredients given as item 2, into a smooth paste.Keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan (clay pot is the best) and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds.
5. Add shallots,garlic,ginger,green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
6. Add the coconut paste and saute for a minute.
7. Add mango pieces,salt and water. Cover and cook till the pieces are half cooked.
8. Add prawns and cook till it is done.
Note: I used store brought cooked and peeled prawns. So I added it when the mango was almost cooked.
This curry tastes best after a few hours when the sourness of mango blends with the spiciness of the curry.