June 25, 2011

Kachiya Moru / Curd Curry


This recipe is here on public demand. From the time I started this blog, my friends (non-keralites) were asking me to post the recipe "of the yellow curd curry that you bring for lunch". This was  very popular among my colleagues and I used to make it atleast once a week as it is very easy and takes hardly 5 minutes to prepare. Well, my keralite friends, I know that you all know how to make this. So this post is for all my friends who
love this curry, but never made it  :-)

Ingredients:

Yoghurt/Curd - 500 gms/ml
Shallots - 4 or 5, sliced (If you do not have shallots, use half of a small onion, finely chopped. But shallots taste better)
Chopped garlic - 1 tsp
Chopped ginger - 1 tsp
Green chilly - 2, chopped
Dry red chilly - 1 or 2
Curry leaves - a sprig
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Oil - 1 tbsp (preferably coconut oil)

Preparation:

1. Add water to curd and beat it well to the required consistency. It should be thicker than buttermilk. Add salt to it and keep aside.
2. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds followed by fenugreek seeds.
3. Add shallots, dry chilly, ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and saute well till you get a nice aroma.
4. Lower the flame to medium-low. Add turmeric powder and the curd and mix well. Switch off the stove when the curry is warm. Do not bring to boil as the curd gets separated.

Serve with rice.

Suggested side dishes:
Veg:  Spicy Potatoes or Okra Stir Fry
Non-veg: Pepper Chicken or Mutton Roast





1 comment:

  1. Made these as part of Blog hop wednesdays. This was a standard dish when i was staying with my friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...