A typical kerala style dish called Chemmeenum Muringakayum in malayalam. This is my mother's recipe. I have used lot of shallots (small/sambar onions) in this curry.
Small Prawns - 200 gms
Drumsticks - 2 nos
Shallots chopped - 4 to 5
Green chilly - 2 or 3 slit lengthwise
Ginger chopped - 2 tsp
Garlic chopped - 2 tsp
Tamarind - 1 inch square piece
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 to 2 tsp
Coconut - 3/4 to 1 cup
Shallots - 1 or 2 as per size
Jeera/cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil (Tastes best with coconut oil)
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Shallots chopped - 2 or 3
1. Soak tamarind in hot water and make a pulp. Add 1/2 cup water to this and also add turmeric,chilly powder and salt and stir.
2. Heat a pan and pour the tamarind masala water.
3. When it starts boiling, add the cleaned and cut drumstick pieces, shallots,green chillies, ginger and garlic. Cover and cook till drumsticks are half cooked.
4. Add the prawns and cook for a few minutes.Add water if required.
5. Meanwhile grind the ingredients listed under 'To grind' with a little water.
6. Add the ground coconut to the curry and stir well and bring it to a boil. Switch off the stove.
7. Do the seasonings in a different pan and pour it to the curry.
This curry tastes better after few hours/next day. Best served with plain/brown rice.