This is a kerala style fish curry made with coconut oil. The curry leaves sauted in coconut oil gives a distinct aroma to this curry. If you dont like/dont use coconut oil, you may use sunflower oil/any oil of your choice. I like this curry to be spicy, please adjust the green chilly and chilly powder as per your taste.
Fish pieces - 500 gms
Onion - 1 chopped
Chopped ginger -1 tsp
Chopped garlic - 1 tsp
Green chilly - 2 slit lengthwise
Curry leaves - a sprig or more
Tomato - 1 chopped
Tamarind - 1 inch square piece
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 2 tsp or more
Coriander powder - 2-3 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
1. Soak tamarind in hot water and make a pulp. Strain and add the spice powders(turmeric, chilly and coriander) to this. Keep this aside.
2. Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard and fenugreek seeds.
3. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilly and saute for a few seconds.
4. Add onions,curry leaves and salt and saute till onions are soft.
5. Add the tomatoes and saute till oil starts appearing.
6. Now add the tamarind pulp and bring it to a boil. Add water as required.
7. Lower the flame and cook till the gravy starts getting thick.
8. Add the fish pieces and cover and cook till the fish is done.
Serve hot with rice. Tastes great with red/brown/kerala rice. This curry is much more tastier the next day :-)