Today my husband asked for a different type of egg curry which has a thick gravy. So here it is, a thick egg curry with the aroma of whole spices and the richness of coconut and cashew nuts.
Boiled eggs - 4
Finely chopped onions - 2
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Chopped tomato - 1
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Meat masala - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - A sprig
Oil - 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves - to garnish
For the masala paste
Oil - 2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Cloves - 1
Cardamom - 1 (optional)
Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
Cashew nuts - 5 or 6 soaked in warm water for 10-15 mins
1. Heat oil in a pan and add fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry for a minute and then add the shredded coconut. Fry till coconut becomes golden brown. Let it cool. Grind this along with the soaked cashew nuts and a little water to make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a non stick pan, add chopped onions and fry till transparent.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste saute for a minute.
4. Add curry leaves, spice powders and salt and combine.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for 4-5 mts.
6. Add the ground paste and cook for few minutes, stirring so that it does not stick to the vessel.
7. Add 1-2 cups of warm water and bring to boil.
8. Add the boiled eggs and combine. You may add a little pepper powder if you like. Cook till the gravy thickens. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. This curry has a rich and thick gravy.
Serve hot with roti, paratha, appam or plain rice.