Chettinad cuisine is the cuisine of the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu state. Chettinad cuisine is one of the spiciest and the most aromatic in India.
and is famous for its use of a variety of spices used in preparing mainly non-vegetarian food.
Chicken pieces - 1 kg
For the masala
Shredded coconut - 1 cup
Whole Dry red chilies - 6-8
Poppy seeds / Khus Khus - 2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1-2 tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1 medium size piece
Cardamom – 4
Clove – 4
Star anise – 1/2
Whole pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
Ginger & garlic- 1/2 tbsp each
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Tomato – 3 medium
Lemon – 1
1. Fry the ingredients listed under 'For the masala' in oil, till it turn golden brown. Let it cool.
2. Grind this with ginger and garlic. Do not add water while grinding. Add 1/2 – 3/4 cup of water to the ground coconut mix and make it a thick paste.
3. Heat oil in a bottom heavy pan and add sliced onions and fry it till it becomes golden brown.
4. Add coconut mixture and curry leaves and stir it continuously for a few minutes.
5. Add tomato and turmeric and chili powder and mix well. Once the powders are fried well add chicken pieces & salt, combine well and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and 2 cups water and cover and cook till the chicken is done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Recipe source: Maria's Menu