This is a traditional kerala style curry which is very mildly spicy. My husband and little girl loves this curry and it is a comfort food at home. Best served with hot rice and pappadam/appalam.
1. Split yellow Moong dal -1 cup
Water - 2 cups
2. Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 2 or 3
Jeera/Cumin seeds - a large pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Shallot/Sambar onion - 1(optional)
Garlic - 1 clove
3. Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies - 1 or 2
Shallots/Sambar onion - 2 or 3, sliced fine
Curry leaves - a few
Note: You may substitute moong dal with toor dal if you like.
1. In a pressure cooker, add the moong dal and water and cook till dal is mushy. After one whistle, lower the flame and cook for 2 more whistles. After the pressure is released, mash the dal well and keep aside.
2. Meanwhile, grind all the ingredients in list 2 to a smooth paste adding enough water. Add this paste to the cooked dal and bring to boil. Add enough salt and water for the gravy.
3. Heat oil in a tadka pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and shallots and wait till shallots turn brown. Pour this to the curry and close with the lid so that the flavour infuses well.
This one goes to Anyone can cook: Series 32
Also sending this to The Kerala Kitchen hosted by Divya Kudua this month