January 1, 2012

Simple tea cake for the New Year


This recipe is a simple one with minimal ingredients. I am in Bangalore now and I do not have a conventional oven to bake. So I decided to try baking in my microwave oven. This is my first attempt baking in convection mode and so I chose a simple recipe. And the result: A Soft and Spongy cake. I couldnt find any difference in the texture of the cake baked in convection mode, it was just perfect like the ones baked in a conventional oven.

Ingredients:


All Purpose flour/Maida – 2 cups
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp (omit if using salted butter)

Sugar – 1 cup
Softened Butter – ½ cup (100 g)
Eggs – 3 at room temperature
Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsp
Milk – 1 cup at room temperature

Preparation:

1. Sift together flour,baking powder and salt to a bowl.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together till fluffy.Add the eggs one by one and whisk well. Add the vanilla essence and combine well.
3. Add half of the milk and half of the flour and whisk well. Add the remaining half of milk and flour. Whisk till the ingredients are combined well and the batter is smooth without any lumps.
4. Grease a cake tin with some butter and pour the batter.
5. Set the oven to convection mode. Preheat the oven to 180C. My oven took 7-8 mins to pre-heat. After the oven beeps, place the cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Insert a skewer or toothpick at the centre of the cake to check if it is done.

14 comments:

  1. Cake looks soft and spongy. Happy New Year to u and ur family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A yummy cake to welcome the new year.
    Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have a great year ahead ramya and a fine bake with MW oven

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious cake... looks fabulous... wish you a very happy new year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year.. this is a delciious cake..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I luv this recipe..I have tried it...Delicious cake,Ramya..Happy new year 2012

    ReplyDelete
  7. A delicious cake for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow looks yummy ... Also A Very Happy new year .......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New year Ramya. Cake's texture is very inviting. it is super soft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new year wishes to u and ur family..Wat a super spongy and incredible cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely soft n moist cake,nice post to start the year!!
    Happy New Year to you too !!
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  12. super delicious cake.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi, I really enjoyed going through your blog!!! I am a newly married girl! Luckily, i got a microwave oven (convection model)as one of my wedding gifts. I tried twice or thrice to bake a cake, but it didn't turn out well. Either, the cake did not rise, or the color did not turn brown (mainly at the top), or the cake was too hard, after nearly 20 or 30 minutes inside the microwave. I am confused about the ideal temperature to set and the the time, to get a nice cake. I hope you can help me out!!! I really wanna impress my husband, with a nice, soft and spongy cake.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...