My kids love dal, but they don't like cabbage stir fry or any dish with cabbage. So one day I thought of adding cabbage in dal and they didn't even realize that their favorite dal had cabbage in it. Whether you like cabbage or not, this dish takes dal to a different level. It can be served with rice or roti..a little ghee and papads on the side to go with rice makes it a yummy meal.
Toor dal or split moong dal - 1/2 cup
Onion - half of a medium sized, chopped fine
Shredded cabbage - 2 cups
Tomato - 1 small, chopped (optional)
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera/ Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies - 2
Curry leaves - a sprig
Garlic - 3 cloves crushed
Hing/asafetida - a generous pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 TSP
Chilly powder - 3/4 TSP
Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
Salt as needed
1. Rinse and drain dal and pressure cook with 2 cups of water.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds followed by jeera. Add crushed garlic and saute till raw smell is gone. Add dry chillies, onion, curry leaves and hing.
3. Stir for a minute and add cabbage and spice powders. Mix well and add tomato.
4. Stir fry for a minute. Add cooked dal and enough salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add water if needed to adjust consistency.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves/cilantro.
Post a Comment