June 5, 2011

Prawns Rava Fry


This is one of the easiest prawn recipes. I believe that this is a Mangalore style dish (correct me, if I'm wrong). This is a modified version of my mother's recipe.

Ingredients:

Cleaned and peeled small prawns - 200 gms
Grated or finely chopped ginger - 1/2 tsp
Grated or finely chopped garlic - 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder - 1 tbsp (If you are using normal chilly powder, it is 1 teaspoon)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Rava - 2 to 3 tbsp
Curry leaves - a sprig or more
Green chillies - 2 or 3 slit lengthwise
Oil for deep frying

I have tried this with fresh and frozen prawns. I recommend that you use only fresh prawns for this recipe as they are much more delicious and soft than frozen ones.

Preparation:
1. Marinate the prawns with ginger, garlic, chilly powder, turmeric powder and  salt for about 15 minutes.
2. Add rava and combine well and keep marinated for 3-4 minutes more.
3. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Add the prawns followed by the green chillies and curry leaves.
4. Fry till they are golden and cooked, but still soft. Note that the prawns get hard, if you fry for longer time.
5. Drain the prawns. You can see that a lot of fried rava is still in the oil. Use a sieve to filter it from the oil and spread it on the prawns.
6. Serve hot. Do not discard the fried curry leaves and green chillies. They are very crisp and tasty.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Ramya, Tried this Prawn Rava fry yesterday. Came very well. Very simple to cook.

    Thanks a lot for your website. I am not a very good cook and staying alone. Most of the times I used to have rice with curd and readymade mix like puliogare, Lemon rice, Vangibath etc Now started cooking by seeing the dishes from your website.

    The speciality of your dishes is very simple to cook and doesn't require more ingredients and time. Have recommended your website to my friends too.

    Appreciate your efforts and once again thanks a lot.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Thiyagu S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you tried and liked this. There are a lot of simple recipes in this site that are suitable for bachelor cooking. Thanks for recommending the site to your friends. The main reason why I started this blog is to be useful to people who are new to cooking. Seven years ago, I was in the same stage and at that time there were not many blogs too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definite try! Hi I have an event at my blog do check out if you can http://shobskitchen.blogspot.in/2014/12/event-giveaway-announcement-2015.html keep Blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...